What an email campaign is, and what it is not
First off, let’s state what an email campaign is not. Sending dozens or hundreds of emails to random email addresses announcing the “biggest sale of the century” is not an email campaign. That is more akin to spam, and you do not want your business linked with spam in the same thought.
The essential aspects of a well-crafted email campaign are
- The content has been professionally constructed
- The right mix of text, graphics, colors, and tone have to be included
- Recipients will be “warm” contacts
- Make sure those receiving your email are already receptive to what is inside. These contacts are current customers and website visitors that have requested information.
- Focuses on a specific goal
- Scattershot or multiple offers, coupons, or promotions will hurt the overall effort
- Will have results that can be measured
- Understand how well this campaign performed and be able to use the data to improve future campaigns
- Links back to a landing page on your website
- An email campaign that links back to your home page is far less effective than a landing page
Research backs up the effectiveness of email campaigns
- The DMA Statistical Fact Book says that 66% of online consumers made a purchase as a result of an email marketing message.
- According to ExactTarget research, 91 percent of consumers reported checking their email at least once a day. This makes email the most consistently used internet-marketing channel available.
- Email campaigns reach mobile users like no other method. According to Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, the average person checks their smartphone 34 times a day. Moreover, one study estimated that 64% of decision-makers read their email via mobile devices.
- The graph below is from Synup To’s 2016 Email Marketing Benchmark Report:
- The Legal/Accounting sector leads the way with an astonishing 37.25% open rate, with TV/Radio/Film at number two, and non-profits rounding out the top 3 non-governmental sectors
- A very strong open rate showing at 28.70% by the Construction/Tradesman sector which includes the service industry members like plumbers, electricians, HVAC, etc.
- In terms of the all important click-through rate amongst non-governmental sectors sees the Legal/Accounting sector again taking the top spot at 6.75%, with Construction/Tradesman coming in with an impressive second place finish at 6.39%, and Health/Beauty/Spa/Wellbeing posting a strong third place finish with a 5.86% click-through rate.
- In the Summary section we can see that the average open rate across all sectors is 24.88% which means that 1 out 4 of all email marketing messages get opened. That is impressive. Even more impressive is the fact that the top end of the open rate is almost 40%. That means if the email subject is well crafted and the domain name is trusted, your odds of getting your marketing email opened is very good indeed.
- Also in the Summary section, in the click-through rate area, we can see that across all sectors almost 3.5% of all opened emails receive that critical click. Once again though, that number is almost 3 times better if the content is well crafted and professional.
You may be wondering what kind of value there is to partnering with Small Biz Media to conduct your email campaign.
- When asked to put a value on an hour of their time during a business day, the average small business owner said $273.
- Your time is obviously better spent doing what you do best, running your business.
- Small Biz Media can craft the content, tie it back to your website, and run the campaign with skill and efficiency.
- This means your are much more likely to get close to the “Maximum” numbers in the Summary above.
- That could mean twice as many opens and a little over seven times the number of click-throughs!
Email campaigns typically return around $40 for every $1 invested. Isn’t it time for your business to take advantage of this marketing power?